Monday, July 30, 2012

Man helps catch teens who shot him with air gun in Rancho Cucamonga

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man who was shot with an air gun
while driving his car didn't wait around for authorities to
apprehend the suspects.

Dan Laue said he was leaving work around 11 p.m. Sunday when
he noticed a car pull up next to him on Foothill Boulevard at the 15 Freeway in
Rancho Cucamonga.

"As soon as the car drove up, I saw it come up next to
me really close. I saw something come out the window, so I immediately went to
look. I heard a shot and I immediately felt pain in my neck," Laue said.
He said he thinks they were using an Airsoft rifle, one that shoots small airsoft
pellets.

So, Laue called 911 - but that's not all. He chased after
them, doing whatever he could to make sure they didn't get away. Since his call
to 911 went through the OnStar system in his Chevrolet Camaro, he was able to
use his iPhone to shoot video of what was happening.

"Hey, I just got shot in the neck by these guys, I'm
chasing them," Laue told the dispatcher.

"Are you injured?" the dispatcher asks.

"I don't know, it's dark," he replies.

"Can you pull over so I can get you medical
attention?" the dispatcher asks.

"No, I'm not letting go of them. You guys catch up,"
Laue said.

Moments later, a sheriff's deputy saw what was happening and
pulled the suspect vehicle over. Two 17 year olds, who were not identified
because they are minors, were arrested on misdemeanor charges of brandishing a
replica firearm.

The San Bernardino Sheriff's Department said deputies
recovered two Airsoft rifles in the suspect vehicle and one airsoft pellet in
Laue's vehicle.

Laue said the injury to his neck was minor.

Asked why he wouldn't pull over for the dispatcher, Laue
said, "Because I knew if I didn't get behind them until a sheriff's car
was behind them, they were going to get away. Whether it was a real gun or not,
I was ready to ram them at some point if I needed to, if it was a real gun.

"This happens too many times in our country, and I'm
not going to let it happen to me and let someone get away with a crime like
that."

(Copyright ©2012 KABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment